Monday, September 20, 2004

Harsh

Henry Louis Gates Jr. is perhaps our leading African-American intellectual. I'm a fan--he argues forcefully and intelligently without resorting to the sort of intemperate language far too many intellectuals employ.

His Sunday editorial in The New York Times is about a thorny issue--the relationship of African-Americans and Republicans. I personally consider the identification of blacks with the Democratic Party an ongoing tragedy in American politics. It's bad for everyone: blacks, whites, Democrats and Republicans.

I was enjoying Gates's piece until he quoted a colleague (approvingly, it would seem) saying "[Republicans] can go into places such as Florida and try systematically to disenfranchise poor black votes." This charge, which many believe, is unfounded, as far as I understand.

I'm sure Professor Gates believes we need true dialogue regarding the black/Republican issue. I think he could help by not supporting such a harsh claim unless he has the evidence to back it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter