Thursday, September 23, 2004

You Lost Me

ABC's drama, Lost, which debuted last night, had been highly touted. The pilot (which actually featured a pilot) starts with the aftermath of a plane crash on a tropical island. The survivors are trying to pull themselves together.

It was gripping stuff. A group of disparate people were going to have to take care of problems society normally handles for them--food, shelter, medicine, etc. (And, unlike Gilligan's Island, they might have sex.)

But then, about halfway through, they lost me. It appeared there was some sort of monster on the island. I know this is TV, and you need a thrill before each curtain, but that monster turned the show from serious drama, to Land Of The Lost. Here I was, looking forward to real people with real problems and they gave me real people with imaginary problems.

By the way, in these sort of situations, there's always a disparate group. Just once I'd like to see a show where they're all middle-aged, male, Presbyterian dentists.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that Presbyterian dentist fantasy myself, with variations.

We are anti-TV in our house. Don't even have one.

But the evil box cannot be so easily defeated. We like movies and watch them on our circa 98 desktop, which means a piece of TV software that hooks up to our VCR and recently our DVD player, too. And, of course, the VCR has a television receiver built into it. (I don't think the DVDP does; wonder why.)

The upshot is, we have a TV in our no-TV house. (Today's technology, six years more advanced, provides a DVD player and software without the receiver problem. So all I have to do is muster the will to throw out the old desktop the way I mustered the will to throw out the TV. But I've never been able to do that. Computers have to die, or be supplanted, and even then they're likely to reappear plugged into a basement outlet for awhile.)

Anyway, the wife loved the show, contrary to her and my expectations. Spent our morning grooming time telling me all about it, since I did not see it. It struck her as quirky, a touch of that early Northern Exposure magic, though presumably quite different in tone (I don't recall Maurice splattering anyone's blood across plane windows, but I quit watching even before Fleischman left.)

BTW, did you catch the packaging on the first season Northern Exposure DVD? It's worth buying for that alone.

Heartland Sam

4:10 AM, September 24, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never seen a single episode.

7:24 AM, January 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter