Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Cracking It

Most Hollywood movie projects never get off the ground. There are a lot of properties--stories, novels, concepts, TV shows, comics--that could get made, but only after some screenwriter cracks it. A script is needed that attracts a top director or star, thus money can be raised. (Ironically, once some stars or directors get attached, the first thing they do is fire the writer and bring in their own people.)

I remember once pitching a Green Acres movie. I think at the time Bette Midler was interested in playing Lisa Douglas. I'd always been a fan of the show so I was excited by the project. In any case, I gave them (with a partner) my take. However, like so many before me, I didn't crack it. To this day no one has.

I might add when you pitch something that's old, the first decision you have to make is whether or not to update it. My partner and I prefer to keep it when and where it's set. In Green Acres' case, this was a mix of the 60s and, because of the surreal style of the show, Neverland. Hollywood, on the other hand, usually prefers to contemporize it. It saves money (sets, costumes, cars, etc.) and, while still attracting an older crowd, is also user-friendly to the younger audience (that sees more movies than any other group).

Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman are on the cover of Entertainment Weekly. They're starring in a major summer release, a big-screen version of Bewitched. Hollywood had been talking about a Bewitched movie for quite a while, so I was intrigued to see who cracked it.

Turns out Nora Ephron's script got people excited. Of course, her track record, including When Harry Met Sally (script) and Sleepless In Seattle (script and direction) didn't hurt. And what is her take?: "a comic actor...gets cast as Darrin Stephens in a remake of Bewitched opposite a Samantha...who, unbeknownst to everyone, is a real witch."

I gotta be honest, this sounds pretty silly. (It could be why Jim Carrey decided not to do it.) A straightforward remake of the Bewitched origin story (a guy falls in love, gets married, and discovers his wife is a witch), no matter when it's set, sounds better. But what do I know, I didn't crack it. Guess we'll find out this summer. I'll be in line with everyone else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Skip James said...

So, if I want to write a movie version of Hogan's Heroes or Seinfeld, I pitch it first and then if they like it we get the rights? I don't need the rights first?

8:02 PM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Here's how it generally works. A producer or a studio owns a property, such as the movie rights to Hogan's Heroes. If there's enough interest, they may take pitches from various writers. If they like your take on the project, they'll pay you for a screenplay. With any luck, this will get things rolling and, eventually, a movie will be made (though your screenplay will likely go through a number of rewrites with or without you).

On some projects (including Bewitched), there were numerous screenplays commissioned with nothing working out. Unlike TV shows, no one HAS to make a movie, so projects can lie fallow for years, even decades. For every project that gets made, there are many more than don't.

9:12 PM, February 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter