Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Hoax alert

Powerline has a photo of an apparently standard road sign that is so stupid it must be seen to be believed, and even then it cannot be believed.

The P-boys have a good deal of credibility and apparently this is real. But who could ever have put such a thing together?

LAGuy says: I've seen those signs ever since I moved here in the 90s. I don't know how long they've been there, but I assume the government saw there was a problem and decided to put a few signs up. Others want to go much further, as you know, such as stations along the way that give help to those breaking into the country. (By the way, I favor fairly open borders.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it actually doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, though it raised some interesting questions. It seems logical that there would be a lot of Spanish-speaking drivers in that area, for whom an English-only (word only) sign would be useless. And we routinely use icons like those for other signs to great effect and little notice. It's really the nature of the graphic depicted that gives pause.

I sometimes travel in northern Ontario, where I commonly see a simlar sign of a moose (clearly a moose, not a deer; looks like profile of Bullwinkle) rearing up and charging. It looks comical and odd, I admit, but it does the trick. I suppose if you could ask a moose what he thinks of it, some might say it's a bit much.

5:10 AM, June 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find nothing odd about the sign at all. It's a quick visual that would take a lot of words to explain. It's also not something you would expect (i.e. to suddenly see pedestrians trying to cross an interstate). Just being alerted could shave a few tenths of a second off a reaction time (enough time to save a life.)

9:19 PM, June 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter