Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The secret to success

A quick googling reveals that it was playwrite Jean Giradoux, Groucho Marx, George Burns, and Samuel Goldwyn and news dust Daniel Schorr who said, "Sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made."

I have to say, though, that I thought Meryl Streep, Sally Field and Sissy Spacek could all do a better job crying on the senate floor than either George Voinovich or Dick Durbin.

LAGuy intereferes: The word is "playwright," as in wainwright or wheelwright. This is because, once upon a time, writing plays was considered a craft.

Columbus Guy piles on: I always have trouble with copywright, too. Can I blame it on the public schools? We need a law: NPSLB, No Poor Speller Left Behind.

LAGuy won't stop: I can understand the earlier confusion, since a playwright writes. But copyright simply means the right to make copies.

Columbus Guy rejoins: Copies of what you write? (Besides, I always thought it was the right to prevent someone else from making copies, through the rite of legal proceedings. After all, I have the right to copy all sorts of things in the public domain and even some that are not, but I have no copyright on them.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter