Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Improve

One of the better moments in The Aristocrats, an enjoyable study in scatology, is when a mime acts out the title joke. I haven't seen it mentioned in any reviews.

Perhaps this is due to the mindless anti-mime prejudice which has been alive in the country for at least two decades. I really don't understand it. Well-done mime is quite enjoyable. (Bad mime is bad, but bad anything is bad.) It can be funny, it can be moving. And it's not so widespread that you have to try to avoid it.

On the other hand, what people should be annoyed by, but seem to love, is improv. I find it, for the most part, excruciating. I'm mystified that others enjoy watching a bunch of people sweating and straining to come up with something that would be considered mediocre at best if it were written material.

Columbus Guy says: Is it my imagination, or was this originally posted with the title "Improv"? Or did my brain just drop the "e" because I thought "Improv" was a better title? Where's Orwell when you need him?

LAGuy: As much as I hate to overexplain, this post has always been entitled "Improve" since that's what I want both society--since it values the wrong art--and improvisationists (improvisors?) to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter