Friday, August 19, 2005

Memorium to John D., Part I

Now that I've endeared myself to the wimmin with my post on comparable worth, let's lock in the outright misogynists. I've recently rediscovered a delight first enjoyed 20 years ago: The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald, who wrote them over 20 years himself, from about 1964's The Deep Blue Good-by to 1984's The Lonely Silver Rain.

These are the playmate years, and they are demostrably fraudulent. The scene is reputed to be acrawl with adorably amoral bunnies to whom sex is a pleasant social favor. The new culture. And they are indeed present and available, in exhausting quantity, but there is a curious tastelessness about them. A woman who does not guard and treasure herself cannot be of very much value to anyone else. They become a pretty little convenience, like a guest towel.

Ah, John D. God rest your troubled and I hope wealthy soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter