Thursday, October 20, 2005

Annual re-read

Thomas Hibbs at the NRO (pointed by Powerline) talks about To Kill A Mockingbird. He allows the occasion of a new DVD version of the movie to review the important lessons of the novel/movie and why it "works." (The movie is a remarkably faithful adaptation and therein lies its strength.)

I like to read this novel about every year. I think it is the best American novel, though I admit Huck Finn covers more territory. One of the reasons I like the novel so is that it does kids so very well. It also lives in its little town so well and yet has so many universals. (Hibbs raises this point pretty well in his essay.) Apparently the town was based on Monroeville, AL, Lee's own hometown. Also of interest is there is a band named in tribute to Harper Lee, with the goal of having a blazingly glorious first album and then retiring to obscurity. All was well until they got successful and . . . now they are on their third album.

LAGuy can't resist adding: I like the book, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as Huck Finn. On the other hand, as beloved as it is, I've never thought much of the film. Furthermore, I think it's dated poorly (the racial and sexual politics in particular).

Hibbs as a critic has certain blind spots. He's sometimes too taken by the purpose of the work to fairly note its quality. After all, the guy made his reputation attacking Seinfeld for being nihilistic.

If you're a fan of Harper Lee, you might like the movie Capote. Catherine Keener portrays Harper in an understated performance. I didn't realize she helped Truman Capote do his research for In Cold Blood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter