Monday, October 10, 2005

We May Have A Fight On Our Hands

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I do think the President made a horrible choice in nominating Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court. As it is I don't like stealth candidates, but you'd at least think he could pick someone who's developed some sort of judicial philosphy in 60 years. (If I were a conservative, I'd be even more opposed. Here's a woman who's supported Democrats not so long ago and fought for affirmative action. I wouldn't care how much President Bush assures me personally, not when there's a stable of well-known conservatives on federal courts right now who would probably be confirmed.)

I agree that this was an unforced error on Bush's part. He probably figured on a huge win--a woman, a true conservative (he's sure), a friend (forget she may have to recuse herself on a bunch of cases) and easily confirmable (even Harry Reid likes her).

Not unlike Alberto Gonzalez, there are strong reasons for both conservatives and liberals to oppose her. Bush's job right now is to keep his own people in line. So far he's failing. Meanwhile, the Dems have to wonder, as the right splits, do we want her or not? (Don't forget, half of them voted against someone last month who was clearly qualified, so who knows with Miers.) I actually hope we at least have a fight. Perhaps Presidents will stop nominating people only if they have no paper trail.

So the hearings may make a difference. Personally, I don't care about the hearings--people will say what they have to. I even wonder if this newfangled idea of questioning the candidate is worth anything. Look into the candidate, sure, but you don't have to waste time with cross-examination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter