Sunday, December 18, 2005

Narnia

My first exposure to Narnia was a very 70's sounding Christian rock/vocal group called the 2nd Chapter of Acts. They apparently had an album of Narnia related music, which I am sure is selling better than it ever did. I never got too far in the Narnia series until this year. This year is different. I have two emerging readers who have chosen to make "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" their first 'big' book. The rule in our house is, if you want to see the movie, you must have first read the book. So, tonight I went to see the first Narnia movie. I thought it did the job adequately but I was not really enchanted by it. The allegory for me was too naked and then not quite true enough either. Many people say the same about the books and I hear the movie is true to them. And here is the other thing, the story seemed so small. Now this would be okay if it were not the story upon which countless people have lived and died. C.S. Lewis (and the moviemakers in their faithful adaptation) seems to have shrunk the Gospel, like one of those miniature Bibles that are so small as to be without utility. Tolkien's story told more about the Gospel by having it missing, than Lewis did by practically doing the passion story. Now I prepare for the onslaught from people who disagree with me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if individuals will disagree with you, but the public in general has, if the box office grosses are any indication.

8:13 AM, December 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter