Monday, January 09, 2006

I believe you're a lasagna

NPR started this appallingly bad concept many months ago, "This I believe," attempting to resurrect something from society's glory days (you know, those go-go John Wayne days of the 1940's and 1950's, when deviance stayed in the closet, etc.)

It's one of those pretentious, cringe-inducing train wreck kind of ideas that one hopes to avoid but in any case prays for a good editor to kill before it does too much damage. They're little 300 word or so essays that are pretty much as pompous as the title suggests. To my chagrin, I caught the last few words of today's entree:

. . . it’s about trying to do the right thing even when nobody else is looking.
I believe that worrying about the problems plaguing our planet without taking steps to confront them is absolutely irrelevant. The only thing that changes this world is taking action.
I believe that words are easy. I believe the truth is told in the actions we take. And I believe that if enough ordinary people back up our desire for a better world with action, I believe we can, in fact, accomplish absolutely extraordinary things.
Words are easy, all right. It's thought that's hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter