Sunday, February 26, 2006

Cut it into four pieces; I'm too busy to eat eight

Two of my favorite signs that the balloon is about to go up:

Sudden loss of cell service near some air force bases (from which heavy bombers would depart). At the same time, there would be sightings of Middle Eastern looking guys around these bases, trying to get their cell phones to work, while being observed by what appears to be FBI agents.

and

Increased delivery of Pizza to Pentagon

Somehow, references to Middle Eastern looking guys shaking their cell phones with FBI looking guys close behind doesn't seem the most credible way to say it.

True story, though: Sept. 11 came during my second week as a reporter at a weekly. There wasn't a lot to do except watch and wonder like the rest of the world, but I had had experience with the state emergency response facility, which has its own War Room, straight out of War Games or Strangelove or 24. I thought I'd go up and see what was up. Of course they weren't about to let me in, but I got a great photograph of a Papa John's delivery driver running earnestly up the stairs, arms full of pies.

UPDATE: I've retitled this because I thought of a better one (formerly "not hungry enough to")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter