Sunday, February 12, 2006

Oscars--My Choices

I've already discussed the expected winners--a few close categories, but not too much excitement. Now here's how I would vote for if I were in the Academy. (Note: I'm not.)

Here are the nominees. If I don't know a majority of the choices (i.e., shorts) I'll leave it alone.

Actor: Some decent choices, but no standout. I guess I'd go with Heath Ledger, who did a lot with a little. (Too bad Jeff Daniels or Anthony Hopkins weren't nominated.)

Supporting Actor: This is usually the most competitive category. Fairly weak this year. I think I'd give it to William Hurt, though I'm not entirely convinced his whole performance wasn't a put-on.

Actress: Sorry Reese, but it goes to Felicity Huffman.

Supporting Actress: Amy Adams. (And Catherine Keener got nominated for the wrong role.)

Animated Feature: Howl's Moving Castle. (The animated feature, once again, is better than the best picture.)

Art Direction: I didn't see Geisha. Also, hard to compare such different styles. Let's give it to King Kong, which spent so much money to reproduce Depression-era New York.

Cinematography: The New World. Easiest choice of all.

Costume: Once again, how do you compare different period pieces and fantasy? Let's give it to Charlie And The Chocolate Factory for its eclecticism.

Directing: None of the nominess are that impressive. I'll give it to Ang Lee.

Documentary: Some nice choices. Let's give it to the film that doesn't need it, March Of The Penguins.

Editing: Crash.

Makeup: Star Wars (which deserves more technical nominations).

Original Song: "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp." (Another very easy choice.)

Sound Editing: War Of The Worlds.

Sound Mixing: King Kong.

(There should be a contest for the best explanation in 25 words or less of what's the difference between the previous two categories.)

Visual Effects: War Of The Worlds.

Adapted Screenplay: A History Of Violence.

Original Screenplay: The Squid And The Whale.

Best Picture: Crash. (As usual, faute de mieux.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

William Hurt? Are you kidding me. He was on screen about five minutes and sucked most of that time.

12:34 PM, February 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real point is who will watch with such a boring bunch of movies nominated. More people watched King Kong than the five Best Picture nominees combined, and people act like King Kong was a flop.

7:40 AM, February 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter