Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Best Screenplays

I recall a book series called Best Screenplays, following after the John Gassner Best Plays series. As far as I know, it never caught on. Perhaps because plays are considered works of art while screenplays are merely "blueprints" for movies. People are fascinated by great buildings, not blueprints.

There's something to this. A screenplay, for better or worse, is shot just once--if a play had only one performance, the particular production would grow in importance. Furthermore, film is such a visual medium, the technical side is hard to ignore. (King Lear is a great play. A film of a performance of King Lear is not a great film.)

Wait, it gets even worse. In the silent era they didn't even have screenplays, they had scenarios. Sometimes not even that--the great clowns often worked day to day with basic plots. In the studio era, with rare exceptions, writers were "schmucks with Underwoods" whose work would regularly be superseded by whoever or whatever the producer felt was necessary. More recently, directors bring in their own people for script surgery, not to mention stars who feel free to change things any time. Then, this being film, we get test screenings and editors who chop up what's left of the script. (I don't think I can put Annie Hall on my top screenplay list, for instance. It's one of my favorite films, but it seems to have been discovered in the editing room.)

And what about adaptations? You may think A Streetcar Named Desire and Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? are great films, but that's because their screenplays pretty much leave their sources untouched. And even a film based on a novel or short story--how can that be compared to an original screenplay?

So, overall, rating screenplays is a game for chumps. Movies are such a collaborative art, it's already a bit much to compare directors, so why even bother with the screenwriter? (Richard Corliss tried in his book Talking Pictures, and no one took up his invitation.)

So with those caveats, let me talk about my favorite screenplays, as opposed to the often safe choices of the Writers Guild.

How to judge? I've read countless screenplays by both unknowns and high-paid screenwriters. Should I judge the script by how well it reads--someone like Shane Black can make the action sound very exciting--or by how it plays (which I can't know half the time since, even when a screenplay is shot, it's rarely as is)? Should I work backwards with something like Eraserhead and just assume I'd like the screenplay because I like the film?

And even then, what makes a screenplay great? Intricate plotting? Fascinating characters? Snappy dialogue? Certainly not beautiful images.

Is a well-plotted script like Ruthless People superior to an episodic one like Animal House or one full of set pieces like There's Something About Mary? How do you even judge a screenplay like Ghostbusters when you find out Bill Murray came up with most of the best lines on the set?

Well, I don't have time to go over thousands of films and their screenplays (bet you were afraid I did), but let me discuss (very quickly) about 25 or so, with the understanding most of them would make my top hundred. I'm pretty much sticking to Hollywood, as the WGA does. I'm certainly not competent to judge scripts not written in English.

The Shop Around The Corner. A little note first. It's by Samson Raphaelson, but...he wrote it in close consultation with director Ernst Lubitsch. There are rumors other hands (Ben Hecht) worked on it. It's also based on an Hungarian play, though it's supposedly completely different. Many screenplays have mulitple parents and are of uncertain origin. I'm going to ignore this problem and usually just discuss the title.

Anyway, The Shop Around The Corner is probably #1 on my list. It's perfection. (Trouble In Paradise, by the same writer/director duo, is also perfect, if a little more brittle. That would also make my list, but I'm trying to limit my discussion to one script per author.) Exquisite dialogue. Wonderfully drawn characters. A delightful comedy that has powerful drama as well. Endlessly watchable.

Hail The Conquering Hero. Preston Sturges may be the best screenwriter of all. His plots (usually) move well, his dialogue is brilliant without seemng to strain, and even his smallest characters get great lines. Hero is probably his best work, since it has a headlong momentum that's almost never been matched. It makes my top ten, but I could almost as easily pick The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels and a few others.

Pulp Fiction. When movies didn't compete with TV, they weren't afraid to have people talk. Now if you have more than a page or so of dialogue in one setting, everyone gets worried. This may be why so many of my favorite screenplays (as opposed to movies) are "old" films. But there are more recent works that I love. Pulp Fiction, another top ten choice, is dazzling. It's not afraid to have page after page of talk because that's the film's secret weapon--it moves the plot forward, deepens the characters and makes us laugh all at once. And the plots (which wrap around each other) all unfold in unexpected yet satisfying ways--amazing in an era when you know exactly what's going to happen in most films after the first ten minutes.

North By Northwest. Hitchcock felt his work was done once the script was finished--shooting was basically to make sure the script wasn't messed with. But Hitch still needed writers to get that vision down on the page, and he never had anyone do it better than Ernest Lehman. It's an elaboration of the "chase" films he'd been making from the start, but what an elaboration. It goes from set piece to set piece, never flagging. Some may complain it doesn't have the psychological depth of, say, Rear Window or Vertigo, but I don't care (maybe I'm the one lacking psychological depth)--when something is done this superbly, you just sit and watch in wonder. Another top ten.

Insert Billy Wilder film here. My favorite is Some Like It Hot, but is it his best screenplay? All I know is there should be at least one in the top ten, and several in the top hundred. No one understood better the point of a screenplay is to grab the audience and not let go. That he was also one of the best dialogue writers in town sure helped. If he has a problem, he tends to overwrite--sometimes you're too aware of his presence. But he's so damn good, you don't mind. (On the other hand, other "writerly" screenwriters, like Joseph L. Mankiewicz or Paddy Chayefsky, are so literary their stuff sometimes rubs me the wrong way.) My favorite Wilder scripts (and remember he had great collaborators, too) are Midnight, Ball Of Fire, The Major And The Minor, Five Graves To Cairo, Double Indemnity, Ace In The Hole, Stalag 17 and Some like It Hot. I know I left out some great stuff, but I can't include everything.

This is turning into a book, so I'll keep it short from here on in.

The Hustler and The Sweet Smell Of Success. While the stories are only so-so (Success has a third act that doesn't work), they both succeed for three reasons: introduction to a fascinating and dark milieu, cool characters and the most quotable dialogue ever.

Back To The Future and The Sting. Amazing and intricate story construction, even if the characters have to be kept simple to make things work out.

Singin' In The Rain. Scripts for musicals are usually idiotic, knowing the numbers will save them. Comden and Green were handed a bunch of old songs and came up with a great story that's more than just a string of song cues. (Their Bandwagon isn't bad either.)

Die Hard. Action should be fun and stylish, not merely violent. This film was the template, alas, for a bunch of inferior copies.

It Happened One Night. It's hard to separate Robert Riskin from Frank Capra, but no matter what the director brought to the film, he couldn't have done it without a solid script. It virtually invented screwball and, for laughs and warmth, was never topped (except maybe in My Man Godfrey).

Duck Soup. Is this even a script or just of a bunch of funny guys at Paramount tossing gags around. Who cares?

Moonstruck. Finally, a film about people. (A lot of my favorite films are about people, honest.) Real people with just a little exaggeration.

The Godfather. A rare epic story that's as good as people say.

Toy Story. Pixar's secret is in the story, and I still don't think they've topped this one.

The Philadelphia Story. Most of what's good comes from the play, but still an excellent and rare example of drawing room comedy being properly adapted for film.

Tootsie: A lot of hands on this screenplay, but it all comes together.

Lost In America. There's an early feint toward a story, but it never materalizes. But story isn't everything. Just giving Albert Brooks an opportunity to rant is enough for me.

Memento. Almost too clever for its own good, but I admire the Swiss watch mechanics. (A watch that runs backwards.)

The Big Sleep. The best in detective dialogue ever. So good, you don't really care the story is impossible to follow.

Heathers and Being John Malkvoch. Both scripts made brilliant films, yet both are examples of a third act rewritten to make the film more palatable. As is so often true, the orginal scripts are better. (For two acts Adaptation is also great, but they DID keep the third act and it didn't work.)

Casablanca. I don't need Robert McKee to teach me it's great.

Star Wars. It doesn't have to be about great dialogue.

It's A Wonderful Life. As sentimental as you can get without being annoying. Has scope and is surprisingly dark in places.

Well, that's it for now. Please send in your own faves, as well as what's wrong with mine. I seem to have a preference for comedy. Sorry, but it's the genre I understand (and appreciate) best. Also, I seem to prefer mechanics and dialogue over art. Sorry again, but as they say, if you want to send a message, have someone reopen Western Union.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work, but you sure had to keep a lot of stuff out. Maybe it's better you concentrated on comedy, and left out Scorsese and that sort of thing.

6:29 AM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't profess to be a scholar in the area of screenplays, but in thinking about films that had a strong effect on me when I first saw them, "The Graduate" comes to mind. It is also based largely on dialogue and has quotable quotes.

12:13 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Gaucho said...

LAGuy - thank you for the post. I would agree that rating screenplays is a game for chumps - are you rating it based on how it reads or how it plays as a part of the finished product? And, as with directing, is it a better screenplay if it draws your attention while you're watching or only in retrospect?

When I see lists like the 101 Greatest Screenplays, I'm usually left with some quibbles: I understand, for example, why Fargo was included in the list but I happen to think Miller's Crossing is a better film. Also, I would rank Crimes and Misdemeanors above Annie Hall but that's just me.

For the record, I like all your choices with just one nit to pick: When it comes to Star Wars, I would separate the screen story from the screenplay. Without question George Lucas deserves props for bringing the story to the screen but since (to borrow a phrase from Harlan Ellison)he can't write for sour owl poop, I would rate The Empire Strikes Back as a much better screenplay.

I would also compliment you on your choice of Albert Brooks' Lost in America. It is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

All that said, here are a few screenplays (in no particular order) that don't appear on either your or the guild's list. Some are original and some are adaptations.

The Conversation
Edward Scissorhands
The Ref
The Stunt Man
Young Frankenstein
Night of the Hunter
Planet of the Apes
Monty Python's Life of Brian (or Holy Grail - take your pick)
The Lion King
The Howling
The Haunting

Like you, I'm sure with some time I can come up with more.

1:13 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Good list ... I especially appreciate the inclusion of Duck Soup ... The Marx Brothers are such great physical comedians that the snappy dialogue on that gem often gets overlooked .. my personal favorite, though, is Manhattan

2:15 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Thanks for all the comments. In response:

I certainly didn't include a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure if any script from Scorsese's films should be there, even though I like some of them. (I think Raging Bull made the Guild's top 100. I've written in the past that it's little more to me than two hours with a lout.)

The Graduate is one of my favorite movies, though I often wonder how well it would have played without Dustin Hoffman. (Supposedly, both Charles Grodin and Robert Redford were up for the role.) I've read the novel by Calder Willingham and while Buck Henry did a fine job, he didn't make many changes, and I think even transcribed a lot of the dialogue. (A more original script from 1967 would be Benton and Newman's Bonnie And Clyde.)

As to Woody Allen, I don't think anything he did after 1977, even the fine Manhattan, touches Annie Hall.

Alec Guinness signed on to Star Wars because he admitted the script was a page-turner. Perhaps the lines aren't all brilliant (though some are), but it's a memorable story with cool characters; no matter how you feel about Empire, don't forget its characters and even its world (galaxy?) was created in the original.

Some interesting films on your list, Gaucho. The Stunt Man is an intriguing choice, and well worth looking at even though it's less known than most of the others.

Feel free to send more titles in. And tell your friends to send theirs in, too.

6:01 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting list. It's true what you say about screenplays vs. films. I'm a big Robert Altman fan but I certainly couldn't put any of his screenplays on a list. In fact, I think Altman is probably the best example of the differences between the two. McCabe is one of my all time favorite movies because something about it is deeply moving to me though I certainly couldn't point to any line.

Speaking of anti-westerns, I also love Butch Cassidy which I think is a great screenplay. Crackling, witty dialogue, a plot that holds you and characters you latch on to. I certainly would've put that one in.

I think Cuckoo's Nest is a great movie and probably a great screenplay though I haven't read the book so I don't know how much was lifted from that.

I think Splash is a top-notch, near perfect romantic comedy. Maybe not that profound, but works beautifully.

I saw the Big Sleep and couldn't make heads or tails of it. I have no idea what that movie is about. Chinatown is another well done screenplay that I think deserves mention. I also loved The Fisher King and think it's a great screenplay. Another fave would be Searching For Bobby Fischer.

3:11 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Yost said...

Must agree with you and so many others about how do you seperate the finished film from the screenplay?

Some of my faves are covered here: Casablanca, BTTF, The Conversation.

Some of my other favorites are:

GHOST - it's a love story, a thriller and comedy all rolled into one - and it works. Each set-up is paid off.

FIELD OF DREAMS - classic case of "Would I have gotten choked up from just the script?" or was it the movie? Don't care. It's going on my list.

RISKY BUSINESS - a teen comedy that would still play today, 20+ years later on all levels

10:45 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Let me step in again with a few responses.

Robert Altman, who makes up so much on the set, is the classic example of the film over the script. For him, scripts are just skeletons that he will build into something living. And yet sometimes having a basic structure to work from is enough. William Goldman of Butch Cassidy fame has said that, above all, screenplays are structure. (It's interesting that only one to win an Oscar for MASH was screenwriter Ring Lardner Jr.)

Cuckoo's Nest (which I don't love as much as anonymous) was a pretty well done adaption. The novel (and the play for that matter) is quite different in some essential matters. (For example, the narrator.) So if you love the film, you gotta give a lot of credit to Bo Goldman.

I also love Splash from Ganz and Mandel. It's a rare modern romantic comedy I like. (And quite a step up from Joanie Loves Chachi, which they had just been doing.) But if I had to pick one script from them, it might be Parenthood, a looser but deeeper script.

Some great choices by Yost. The Conversation, mentioned earlier, is tricky. It is a great, paranoid story (from a paranoid time). But rumors abound that writer-director Coppola had Walter Murch work on the footage for a year to create a film out of it--that the screenplay wasn't even fully finished.

Ghost is a unique script. It's funny how you call it three different things rolled up in one, because I was a film critic when it came out, and I actually reviewed it as three different films in my piece.

Field Of Dreams is a great choice. I'm allergic to sappiness, and it's amazing how far this film goes without turning me off. Admittedly, it is based on a novel, but still it's got a lot of ground to cover (the story goes in a lot of unexpected places) and it pulls it off without a sweat. Furthermore, it's a fantasy, which is a tricky tone to pull off. Finally, structure-wise, it breaks the rules and gets away with it; the entire final act is played in and around the field, and it's riveting, with one payoff after another.

I don't know if I rate Risky Business quite as high as Yost, but there's no question it's a cut above almost all the other teen comedies. It's got both a brain and a heart, and there's no question it comes from the script, since the director wrote it.

1:14 PM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prepare yourself.

The best screenplay I ever read...

...was "HOOK".

WAIT! WAIT! Don't scroll away just yet, let me explain.

This was an early draft, way before the actual movie came out. The credits read:

"HOOK"

The Return of The Captain!

Story by: Jim Hart and Nick Castle (who was originally set to direct, but that's another story)

Screenplay by: Jim Hart (apparently before he became "James V. Hart")

In a nutshell, I thought this was a brilliant idea for a movie, an "adult" version of "Peter Pan" wherein the grownup Peter is lured back to a Neverland he no longer believes in, when his own children are kidnapped by Captain Hook. Moreover:

It was nearly as brilliantly executed.

This was a VERY well written script (and, like laguy, I had read a lot of them by that time) and I was actually dazzled.

Which brings us to:

ACT TWO

We all know what the movie became: Bloated and Lifeless. And I knew it would be that way, even before I saw it. How?

Because I knew someone who was working for Spielberg at the time, and I was able to get a hold of a copy of the Production Draft of "HOOK". Of course, you can guess what it had become:

Bloated and Lifeless.

Astonishingly so. The script had literally ballooned to more than twice its original page length, and stretched to almost 3" between brads.

How could this be? Wouldn't the movie have been three hours long? Well, the best (and most tragic) example I can give is that the dialogue for PETER often included two, three - or more - "choices", presumably to better serve the riffing talents of Robin Williams.

Now, I'm no expert in screenplay writing (oh, wait a minute - yes, I am) but this seems like a pretty piss poor way to write a tight script.

Or even a shootable script.

But rather than go into any more painful details, let's move on to:

ACT THREE

When I read the original draft of "HOOK", I honestly thought this could be Spielberg's greatest movie ever, topping even his own favorite, "E.T.". Which is why it was so disappointing that he himself ended up gutting what could have been one of his all time greatest works.

Or maybe I should've given 3 choices above:

1. Disappointing
2. Disturbing
3. Disheartening

I mean, hiring a re-writer to rework just one character's dialogue (Carrie Fisher for Tinkerbell)? Are you kidding me?

I had absolutely nothing to do with this project, but even now I can feel the pain of Nick Castle and Jim Hart.

But there's one final note to play:

CODA

The year that "HOOK" pancaked into the tarmac, Spielberg was tapped to present an Oscar at the Academy Awards. It must have had something to do with writing, because I remember him going on and on and on about the importance of - nay, the sanctity of - the script and the screenwriter.

It was one of the most audacious acts of hypocracy I've ever witnessed in my entire life.

Thank god Hollywood learned its lesson,

Todd

1:54 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

To Todd, is it hypocrisy if the hypocrite is clueless? Or do you think Spielberg knew he had ruined Hook (and if that's the case, why would he do that in the first place, and why pump up writing at the Oscars)?

3:32 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

That's a great story, Todd. And the sad thing is, I bet almost every working writer in LA can say something similar. You read a script and you're enthralled, and then it gets made and you wonder what happened.

People often ask why Hollywood turns out so much dreck. The answer is complicated, but it's not because writers can't write. Sure, most scripts out there aren't much, but at the top there's more than enough great stuff for all the studios.

By the way, I remember Spielberg's tribute to the written word. Let's just say it was ironic. Nevertheless, I still think he's one of Hollywood's greatest talents.

4:31 PM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today I'm thinking King Kong. Just saw the remake on DVD and was amazed at how well it holds up. When you think that Frankenstein and Dracula were book adaptations that have been remade again and again, each time more true to the book (?) King Kong was conceived as a film and kept intact and remains an icon. Sure, I may not have said this any day but today, but really a classic tale for film. And the horror genre should be up there. (Was this horror?) Other thoughts? Always liked The Stunt Man. Citizen Kane. Usual Suspects. These things are always so impossible. Reactions are so dependent on your state of mind at the time. Over time, I've become impressed at how The Wizard of Oz took a bizarre and disfunctional series of books and could actually make a single movie that holds up. But, before I ramble on I'd like to throw out a vote for a Mamet. Glengarry Glen Ross a personal favorite.

6:02 AM, April 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To echo everyone else, I find it hard to separate screenplay from film. Is a good screenplay good even though maybe the fil had the wrong actor or set designer or sound engineer or best boy
Repo Man is movie that constantly replays itself in my head and I find my self repeating the lines out of context ("Ordinary fucking people, I hate'em.") but would it have been so without Harry Dean Stanton & Emilio Estevez & the Circle Jerks and the rest? Was the screenplay written for them- were they very good actors or were either the screen play or the acting independent goods that didnt really depend on the other?
Is a test of good screenplay one that would be a good film without the star power (perhaps assuming minimally competent acting)?

[I have deleted a terrible analogy about an omelet here only being as good as each ingredient but you get my point)

9:59 AM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Some more great comments. This is why we value feedback from readers.

Bill: I agree the original King Kong is a great movie. Singling out ANY action and/or horror screenplay is always a tricky thing since so much of the success of the film lies in how well the technical side is pulled off. This is probably why such scripts tend to be downgraded by Hollywood, rarely winning Oscars.

While I personally have some problems with plausibility in The Usual Suspects (the title a referece to everyone's favorite screenplay), that film unquestionably makes a lot of top ten lists.

The Wizard Of Oz books had been adapted before (in the silent era). In 1939, MGM decided to throw a lot of money and writers at it and came up with something fairly new. In its day, it was considered a bit of a white elephant. TV reruns turned it into a classic and, while I've rarely heard the script (as opposed to the score or performances) strongly praised, I have to admit it's a great piece of entertainment.

I prefer David Mamet's playwriting to his movie writing (and directing). Glengarry Glen Ross may be the best thing he's ever done, both for the stage and screen (though he didn't direct the movie). Of course, the movie is mostly the play--word for word--with the delightful addition of the Alec Baldwin character.

Anonymous: Repo Man is a great choice--one of my favorite films of all time. A wonderful, bizarre plot with lots of great dialogue. And I hate to say this, but as great as Emilio Estevez is as Otto, the rest of his career suggests maybe he was lucky to get the part and not the other way around.

10:48 AM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger Gaucho said...

Okay, I’m back again with a new round of choices. First off, my favorite Mamet screenplay is one he also directed, State and Main. The whole riff about Sarah Jessica Parker and her unwillingness to show what “half of America can draw from memory” is worth the price of admission alone.

I’m also a big fan of Lawrence Kasdan. I’ve already mentioned his work on Empire Strikes Back. I could include Raiders, of course, but I would also mention The Big Chill and another, lesser known work, Mumford.

For the Coen Brothers, I would add O Brother, Where Art Thou? For Hitchcock, Strangers on a Train. If you’re a noir fan, I would add The Maltese Falcon and Ernest Hemingway’s The Killers (1946). Certainly Orson Welles’ Touch of Evil deserves mention. Paddy Chayefsky’s The Hospital had a bigger impact on me than did Network. And if you’re looking for black comedy, you could do well to look up …And Justice For All. His Girl Friday deserves a nod, especially since rumor has it that Rosalind Russell hired her own screenwriter just to make sure her zingers were as good as Cary Grant’s.

Also, why no mention of any of the Lord of the Rings films? Those films were not just spectacle – the human element set against the fantastic storyline is what made the films work – and no one has brought up the enormous challenge faced by Peter Jackson and company in adapting those books for the screen.

Finally, I have to confess to a great fondness for two small films: My Favorite Year and Crossing Delancey. The former is a wonderfully funny look at the business of television in the early days and the latter is just a beautiful romance. I sometimes wonder how movies like these ever got made.

5:38 PM, April 15, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

A number of people have mentioned His Girl Friday. It's a great film, but I'm not sure how much credit the screenplay deserves, since most of the plot and many of the lines come directly from The Front Page, the Hecht and MacArthur play it's based on.

2:14 AM, April 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all the reasons given, we of course can't comment on the screen play from merely having seen the film. But, why hasn't anyone included films with excellent plot twists? Be honest, did you really see it coming in The Sixth Sense?

6:47 AM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Yes I did.

10:06 AM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

PS A friend and I were discussing The Sixth Sense before we saw it. We'd heard there was a twist. He guessed the main character was already dead. I said "they wouldn't dare try that Jacob's Ladder trick," but I went to see the film and there it was.

As for plot twists, I mentioned The Sting, Die Hard, Memento and Casablanca, among others. What about Pulp Fiction? Did you really guess what was in the back room?

10:17 AM, April 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see it coming in The Sixth Sense but it was obvoius after. Which was great. Much better than Jacob's Ladder. I almost put My Favorite Year on my list but didn't want to seem like a Peter O'Toole fanatic after mentioning The Stunt Man. By the way, I was really glad to see Toy Story on your list. It was quite excellent and only barely nudges out Shrek which I continue to enjoy. Part of that is the "state of mind" so important to my reaction. I kind of go into a partial awareness at movies I relegate to kid's movies. I have even fallen asleep at things like Pokemon 3. So, upon second or third viewings of the ones we own, I find whole new sections that I didn't notice because of partial awareness. Shrek continues to amuse me. So does Finding Nemo. I don't disagree about Usual Suspects. But I wanted one of those plot twist movies like Dori. Maybe Sixth Sense is a better choice for that "genre."

7:31 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger biscotti dana said...

What a great string, even though I'm about two months behind. (But you started on my birthday, so I feel I'm still entitled to post; is there a statute of limitations to these things?)

I, too, fell asleep in Pokemon 3, so I feel I'm in good company.

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, adaptation of King's novella by Frank Darabont - my all time favorite screenplay.

ROSEMARY'S BABY and AMERICAN PRESIDENT - among my top five to seven screenplays.

BOX SCORE, one of my spec scripts, but I still enjoy reading it and revising it every now and then.

You hit upon several of my other top faves, but it's late (both in hour and month) so I shall simply say 'night. And send all my University of New Hampshire screenwriting students here to read the lists.

7:50 PM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger biscotti dana said...

AS GOOD AS IT GETS - that's the other one that makes me cry from laughing so hard everytime I read the script. It's another among my top favorites.

(I just saw the title on your up to date home page.)

8:01 PM, June 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter