Thursday, April 20, 2006

Too Soon?

Some people are saying the pain of 9/11 is still too fresh to make a movie about it. The filmmakers of United 93, which is getting good buzz, feel differently.

I feel the time is right, and has been right for a while. We mustn't forget what happened that day. Yet, I admit, I'm not sure if I'll see the film. I already know the story, and don't know if I need a painful dramatic recreation to burn it into my mind.

To show there's nothing new under the sun, I'm reminded of the Greek tragedian Phrynichus. His play, The Capture Of Miletus, was about how the hated Persians took over that city. The Greek audience was moved to tears, being reminded of this recent tragic event. Their solution? They fined the playwright for reminding them of all that pain, and forbade any future productions on the subject.

Hmm, fining artists when you don't like their work. Interesting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Benchwarmers last night --you know I'm the father of adolescent boys -- and I see record fines for everyone involved. In fact, lifetime achievement fines for Adam Sandler. Too soon? They started shooting Benchwarmers too soon. Before they had a script that made any sense.

5:07 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter