Sunday, May 14, 2006

Clash Of The Titans

Here's an interesting bit on the two greatest clowns the movies have known, from James Lileks:
I like Arbuckle – he had grace and brio and pluck, by God. Paired with Keaton, he was golden. This one was a 1914 Keystone Kops piece – the Kops are hilarious, if you’re in the mood, and very underrated; the pacing makes the Stooges look like Pinter. They all fall down as if they share a single brain. Anyway, Chaplin makes an appearance as a boxing ref, and I know it’s now fashionable to dump on Charlie for the lachrymose character of his later work, his relentless sentimentality and self-love. Keaton was better! It’s the old Beatles vs. Stones thing. I go back and forth myself, but I always end up admiring Keaton more than I love him, and it’s vice versa with Chaplin. In the case of this film, he simply defines and occupies another level of ability altogether; it’s like he’s a member of a different species. You can’t not watch him. He’s made of mercury. He’s incredibly funny, and it comes from someplace no one else on the screen can reach. His sudden appearance has a galvanic effect, and you can imagine the audience of 1914 – already sore from laughter, already invested in Fatty’s character, already delighted with the sturdy progression of the story – suddenly erupting in cheers at the very sight of Chaplin. It’s that guy! We love that guy. And he’s that guy, and more, from the very second he appears.
Who's the greatest? I also go back and forth.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know who's the best, but I think Keaton may have surpassed Chaplin among those who love silent comedy. (What about Harold Lloyd?)

6:54 PM, May 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter