Thursday, June 08, 2006

BP, RIP

We would be remiss if we didn't note the passing of Billy Preston. Keyboardist Preston has the unique honor of being the only artist officially credited on a Beatles' song. I don't mean listed somewhere on an album, I mean the hit single "Get Back" is credited to "The Beatles with Billy Preston." He deserved it--his lively organ solo adds quite a bit.

He also appears in the rooftop concert--that last Beatles' live performance--seen in the movie Let It Be.

I'd say his career never reached that height again, though he was only in his early 20s. Still, he had some major songs in the 70s. "Outa-Space" went to #2 and "Space Race" #4. Then there are his #1 hits, "Will It Go Round In Circles" and "Nothing From Nothing." In 1980 he had a #4 hit with Syreeta, "With You I'm Born Again." Not my favorite, but his last big charting number.

He also played on sessions with many other greats, including The Rolling Stones, Dylan, Aretha Franklin and Sly & The Family Stone.

Whenever I think of him, I remember watching him on TV in the 70s. He was performing "Will It Go Round In Circles." My father walked in and said that no one writes melodies any more. I couldn't help but laugh, since the song starts "I got a song I ain't got no melody."

(Another line is "I've got a dance, I ain't got no steps/I'm gonna let the music move me around" This should be Taylor Hicks' theme song.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter