Thursday, June 08, 2006

Coulter Goes Wilde

Ann Coulter is in trouble. More than usual, I mean. Her new book, Godless: The Church Of Liberalism (which I haven't read and probably won't) has some nasty stuff in it. What's causing the most stir is her attack on certain anti-Bush 9/11 widows. She calls them "the Witches of East Brunswick" and says they enjoyed their husbands' deaths since it made them celebrities.

Why does she do this? Here's her explanation from an interview in Human Events: "....Christianity fuels everything I write. Being a Christian means that I am called upon to do battle against lies, injustice, cruelty, hypocrisy...." Isn't that great--using your religions as an excuse to be cruel.

I felt I'd heard this argument before, and I have. From act two of The Importance Of Being Earnest:

Gwendolen:....if I may speak candidly--

Cecily: Pray do! I think that whenever one has anything unpleasant to say, one should always be quite candid.


Columbus Guy says: Any post with this many comments deserves its own photo.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne Coulter is a about two years away from either a spread in Penthhouse or her own reality show

8:01 AM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as someone who's a Christian as well as (generally) conservative, I will add my two cents: I find Ann Coulter incredibly annoying.

Back in my early 20's, I was in Young Americans for Freedom, and we had a lot of fun mocking liberals. We had a "YAF Songbook" that included songs that dated back at least to the early 1960's, if not earlier. A sample (to the tune of "America"):

Oh! infamous, for welfare state,
For fascist NRA;
You gave East Europe to the Reds
At Yalta one fine day!
Oh, Roosevelt, oh, Roosevelt,
God curse the likes of thee:
The bums you fed are glad you're dead
And so, by God, are we!


Fortunately, I outgrew such antics two decades ago. Ann Coulter still is stuck in the emotional age of a teenager, it would seem.

That is, assuming she is serious. She might very well be a 100% fraud who is living a fake persona to make money. I've suspected this about several other figures (e.g., James Carville) for some time.....

10:39 PM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I guess that tune is "America the Beautiful." I could never keep them straight....

10:40 PM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whenever my kids need to do a critique of an essay for school, I simply send them to Ann's latest column. There they will reliably find one good argument wrapped in falacious logic.

10:48 PM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

That's the irony. She can make a decent argument, occasionally, but it's so buried under invective you wonder if it's worth getting to.

Yes she's very successful. I wonder if it's because of the argument or the hatred.

10:52 PM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she's part of a plot to make other conservatives look reasonable.

1:47 AM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter