Sunday, June 04, 2006

Oil's Well

I was just watching As Good As It Gets, the 1997 romantic comedy, and something really stood out. Not the Oscar-winning performances by Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. Not the sharp screenplay by Mark Andrus and James L. Brooks.

No, what struck me was the price of gas when they stopped at a Mobil. It was $1.13 a gallon. I'd settle for twice that right now.

Columbus Guy says: What's burning my buns is the pattern of the price changes: It drops a penny at a time, a nickel at a time, three cents at a time, until it's fallen by 25 cents or 30. Then, boom, it jumps 25 or 30 or 35 cents, and then starts dropping a penny at a time . . .

The only thing I've guessed right is that the price would be low Memorial Day weekend -- it fell every day here -- and that it would be higher right after. As we speak, it's fallen to a relative low, in the low $2.60's. Perhaps tomorrow or Monday it will be $2.85, and all at once.

Anyway, buck up, LAGuy. You could be HonoluluGuy.

LAGuy notes: I don't know what they're charging in Honolulu (it's a long, hard drive) but I'd kill for $2.85. I got some gas today and the cheapest I could find was $3.31.

4 Comments:

Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't understand what happened to the Pistons. I just hope the Tigers don't fall apart (as they have been doing lately).

Here's one thing I don't get--for years some people said it would be great if gas prices went up, so we'd buy less. Where are these people now? Probably hiding. (Or are they the ones now saying it's some sort of scam.)

Bush has had other problems--some his fault--but the price of gas has practically guaranteed his numbers won't go up any time soon.

7:39 PM, June 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In one way its as it should be--scumsucking SUV drivers (AKA "Osamamobiles") are bearing a much higher burden.

Not sure what that means except that it feels good that the bigass vehicles that I get stuck behind are being whacked a little

1:22 PM, June 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI - here in Honolulu it was $3.25 this morning.

4:18 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Great info from a far-flung reader. At least you don't have to drive that much to get anywhere.

6:15 PM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter