Monday, June 26, 2006

Quiz

I've been reading up on literary theory. In doing so, I've found out where a lot of familar phrases come from.

So here's a quiz. Match the phrase with the writer who created or popularized it. (Answers will be provided later.)

A. Namby-pamby
B. End in itself
C. Purple prose
D. The dismal science
E. Sweetness and light
F. Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast
G. Objective correlative
H. Willing suspension of disbelief
I. Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world
J. Negative capability

1. Horace
2. Swift
3. Congreve
4. Pope
5. Kant
6. Coleridge
7. Shelley
8. Keats
9. Carlyle
10. T. S. Eliot

PS The answers are listed here, but give the quiz a shot before you look them up.

PPS Welcome friends of The Volokh Conspiracy. I'm about to leave for the weekend, but feel free to check out our archives.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few I bet I can guess, but the only one I'm sure of is Congreve wrote about Music Hath Charms. (Some think it's Shakespeare and some thing it's "Beast").

How many point do I get?

9:18 PM, June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we have to get them all? I can get a few but I doubt many can get them all off the top of their heads.

8:46 AM, June 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A quiz??? I come to Pajama Guy for entertainment, not tests! For shame.

1:16 PM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

PJGuy is your one-stop blog center, where we provide all sorts of services.

2:05 PM, June 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know them all, of course, but I don't want to make others feel bad by showing off.

10:24 PM, July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter