Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sullying A Joke

Andrew Sullivan makes an argument that, in its generic form, is common yet (almost always) bad. It's part of an attack on "the theocon right (and fellow-travelers)" for defending their boy Mel Gibson. (Sullivan may have a point, though the examples he gives are pretty weak. If I were more important Sullivan might even attack me, even though I don't agree with the religious right and don't believe I defended Gibson.)

Sullivan writes "...David Frum...suggest[s] Gibson's anti-Semitism qualifies him to become head of the U.N. Can you imagine him taking such a jocular approach if, say, Louis Farakhan had been ranting similar things about Jews?" Yes, of course I can. In fact, mocking hateful people by saying they should be head of the U.N. or writing editorials for The New York Times is a pretty common gag among conservatives.

Has Sullivan gotten so pro forma in his attacks that he doesn't think about what he's saying any more?

Columbus Guy says: You're still reading Sullivan?

Columbus Guy steps on his joke: And aren't we theocons actually mocking the U.N. and the NYTimes, by strongly implying that they're run by hateful people? The hateful people themselves don't need mocking; they're already self-mocked.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another casual dismissal of someone who hasn't drunk the koolaid

5:57 AM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Casual dismissal? Are you referring to me?

If you read what I wrote, you'll see I said Sullivan may have a point when it comes to his general argument. However, this post had me concentrating, quite uncasually, on a specific claim that is not about politics. Got it? Because I feel in your casual dismissal of what I wrote you didn't notice what I was saying, you just noticed I seemed to be on the side of people who favor the war in Iraq, or something like that, and stopped thinking at that point.

The post was not about the war, or about conservatives versus liberals, or theocons versus gays, etc. It's a particular instance of a bad analogy that's all too common in everyday argument. I just thought I'd note this rather egregious example.

8:43 AM, August 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter