Tuesday, August 01, 2006

There Shall Be No Night

I recently saw Lady In The Water, a disastrous miscalculation by writer-director M. Night Shyamalan (though Nina Jacobson, the Disney exec who turned it down, was the one who got cashiered).

Night is coming off four hits (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village) but I can't say I think much of his work. I like his directing style, where he often holds the shot so we can watch the actors act, but I'm not as big a fan of his writing.

Still, I'll give the guy credit. He has a vision and he's willing to stick to it, even fight for it. In a town where most of the films are sequels or remakes or based on proven properties, he's willing to try something different. That's what the critics always say they want (until they get it).

Some are suggesting Shyamalan try something different--a big-budget spectacle with someone else's script, even a James Bond or superhero film. I say stick to it, Night. Better to fail gloriously than succeed at something plenty of others can do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no way Lady In The Water can be any worse than The Village.

11:01 AM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

As faithful readers of this blog already know, I think The Village, for all its faults, is better than most of Shyamalan's stuff.

11:29 AM, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a huge fan either but I do like the atmosphere of the Sixth Sense and The Village even if the stories were a bit thin and the pay-offs a little silly. There was still something memorable about the style.

Has any inventive indy director done well with a Hollywood blockbuster? I keep thinking Ang Lee and The Hulk- has he recovered ever? "Lets take a new fresh face and teach to make dreck like the rest of us"

2:24 PM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

A lot of people think Bryan Singer did a good job with X-Men, but is seemed to me he has trouble holding the whole thing together, and is not great with large action sequences.

Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins could use work, but it's stll a cut above the other Batman films. (I'm no fan of the Batman work by another former indy director Tim Burton.)

I guess you could say Sam Raimi was an inventive indy director, though it was in horror, which maybe doesn't count. I thought the Peter Parker stuff in Spider-Man was good, though, oddly, the action, where you think he'd excel, wasn't.

10:00 PM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter