Friday, November 03, 2006

Clifford Geertz, RIP

Clifford Geertz died a few days ago. There's a name I hadn't heard for a while, but thought about quite a bit years ago.

When I studied anthropology in college, Geertz was probably the most-read and discussed name in the field. One of the few things I remember from my cultural anthropology class is his famous essay on Balinese cockfighting. He's great for undergraduates not only because his ideas are stimulating, but--as opposed to the writing of so many academics--he's also quite readable.

Geertz helped change the focus of his discipline. Unlike thinkers such as Claude Levi-Strauss, Geertz emphasized the differences between cultures, not the similarities.

I've revised my views a bit since college. Culture plays a major role in one's life, but I wonder if we didn't pay enough attention to biology. Regardless, Geertz raises interesting points, and his work deserves to be read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter