Saturday, November 11, 2006

Let The Lawsuits Begin

When I saw Borat last week, I came out with one question on my mind. With the way he embarrassed all those real people, how good would any release they signed be? I mean, they couldn't possibly have known what was happening to them or the bits wouldn't have worked, so it seems to me any waiver would be null and void.

So I've been waiting for news of a lawsuit, and it finally happened. Some of the frat boys (who come across worse then most) are suing for "humiliation, mental anguish, and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community." That sounds about right. (If your "community" is other frat boys, you gotta be really embarrassed before you sue.)

Now that the movie is a hit, the deeper pockets should attract even more plaintiffs and plaintiffs' lawyers.

P.S. The background to the lawsuit suggests there's more staging involved than the filmmakers let on, but that shouldn't be too big a surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter