Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Carol Me This

So I was singing Christmas carols yesterday, and we did "My Favorite Things," which isn't officially a carol, but has that Christmas-y feeling.

Anyway, the song, as you probably know, is about this gal listing stuff she likes. This is not a Cole Porter list, this is an Oscar-Hammerstein-corny list. He liked to write about naive people and simple joys.

So we're going through the roster--you know, raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, that sort of jazz. Then we come to this: "Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles." Come again? I can see loving sleigh bells (when the occasion calls for it) and a pasta dish, but really now, who considers a doorbell to be a favorite thing?

I'll believe a hot dog makes Patty Duke lose control before I believe that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that I consider doorbells all that favorable, but if you think about what doorbells represent--people coming to visit you--then I can see why "naive people" with "simple joys" might like them.

8:11 AM, December 26, 2006  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Plus, what are you talking about? I imagine that there are some pretty damned cool doorbells, both tonally and lookaly. In memory of Peter Boyle and pals, "What knockers!"

3:45 PM, December 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter