Friday, December 29, 2006

More Than A Feeling

Sometimes when I hear a classic oldie I try to listen to the words, since I'm so used to them I usually stopped paying attention years ago. I recently tried this on Phil Spector's masterpiece, The Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" (note they drop the "g" twice in a row). And let's not leave out the songwriters, Mann and Weill.

Anyway, it's actually a pretty good lyric. It sticks to a simple idea--that something is missing in a relationship--and the words and music work well together to get this concept across. But I have two slight problems, and they're in the first two lines.

Here's the second line: "...there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips." All I can say is this guy is pretty sensitive. He's apparently still being touched by his woman, but he can tell these touches just aren't the same.

More troublesome is the first line: "You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips." How does he know this? Obviously, he's keeping his eyes open. Maybe if this guy wasn't so suspicious when she kisses him or touches him, this couple would do better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent point. A little bit of creepiness from the sinder's point of view always adds appeal. (If the guy singing was happy and well-adjusted, it'd be boring & we wouldn't be listening)

8:32 PM, December 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You left out the best part where he's going to go down on his knees for her.

1:47 PM, December 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter