Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Last Year's Predictions

Before we make our predictions for 2007, or give our awards for 2006, let's look at our predictions for last year. Here's a link to my predictions and here's a link to AnnArborGuy's predictions. ColumbusGuy chickened out and Pajama Guy was absent.

First, mine.

I thought the situation in Iraq would improve. That's debatable, but I did say Saddam would be found guilty and executed. That one came in just under the wire.

I said someone would do something about the threat of a nuclear Iran. Unless you count weak verbal condemnation, I was wrong.

I predicted Palestinians would fight each other in territory they control. Right.

I thought the Repubs would lose seats but hold the Congress. Way off. (Though I did change my mind by the summer.)

I said Hillary will remain the Democrats' unquestioned leader for '08. I'd say she's still the leader, but unquestioned? No longer. I also said no clear Repub leader will emerge for '08 and I think that's right.

I thought Brokeback Mountain would win the Best Pictue Oscar, but Crash was the surprise victor. I was right about Philip Seymour Hoffman for Best Actor. Also right on no sitcoms in the top ten and The Sopranos being big but not as big as previously. Also write on record stores closing down.

I said the Dow would break 11,000 which was correct but too conservative.

I was right that Alito would become a Justice. Also that Michigan would lose no more than 2 football games. Also that there'd be over 7000 players and the World Sereis Of Poker and a newcomer would win it.

Not bad, but no Kreskin. I was probably better at this last year.

How about AnnArborGuy?

He predicted a significant pulback from Iraq, making the media focus on Iran and North Korea. Hmm. I don't think so.

He said both sides will get enough in the elections to claim victory. Not really.

He thought Brokeback Mountain would win more awards than it deserves A judgment call, though it didn't win the biggest award (see above.)

He said Tom DeLay would be acquitted. Hasn't worked out that well. (Has it?)

He predicted the Wolverines would have a better year--got that right (even with the rotten ending). He thought the Pistons would go all the way--instead they stalled.

He believed Avian flu would be a bust, and I believe he got that right.

He thought the economy would grow at a 4% rate. I think that's about right.

Unemployment remains low. Check.

He thought interest rate hikes by the Fed would catch up to economy by now. Doesn't seem to as far as I can tell.

So there you have it. Not bad, but at least as good as those overpaid pundits on TV.

Soon, we'll give our awards for last year. We have no official categories, but here are some we've had in the past: Best Press Coverage, Worst Press Coverage, Biggest Scandal, Biggest Non-Scandal, Biggest Loser, Biggest Winner, Biggest Failure, Biggest Comeback, Greatest Success, Biggest Celebrity Meltdown, Worst Political Move, Biggest Stealth Issue, Most Overrated Issue, Dumbest Comments, Person Of The Year, Most Overrated Person Of Year and Defining Moment.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not a Defining Moment- heck it didn't even happen in 2006 but I pass it on as a Significant Moment In Our Time

I overheard people in the street speculate why the post offices and opther places were all flying their flags at half-staff for Saddam Hussein. Admittedly these were college students so probably not the brightest cross-section of society.

(On the other hand, Gerald Ford's funeral and memorials are running the risk of lasting longer than his Presidency)

7:25 AM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think it's a defining moment. I'm just not sure what it defines.

12:17 PM, January 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my Astrological Predictions at:
http://www.geocities.com/akxyz/

5:08 PM, February 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter