Saturday, February 17, 2007

D'Oh!

Ben Yagoda has a piece on interjections in Slate. One of the words he discusses is meh.

You see meh a fair amount these days. My understanding is it signifies something that's nothing special. Reading Yagoda's piece, I'm not sure if he gets it (assuming I get it).

Odder, he says it's helped feh, the great Yiddish interjection, become more popular. Huh? I haven't noticed any uptick in feh. (Like Yagoda, I've noticed more heh, which I assume is due to Instapundit and its ilk.)

The strangest thing, though, is Yagoda writing "[meh] had the ultimate honor of being featured in a Simpsons exchange" and then goes on to quote the dialogue. This gets it completely wrong.

Meh (once again, as I understand it) was not some hot new word that The Simpsons finally picked up on and honored. Meh was invented (or at least popularized) by The Simpsons, and used by them repeatedly over the years; the exchange noted by Yagoda is their recognition of just how popular this word had become, thanks to them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Meh" is a Simpson's created variant of "eh", to indicate you don't think much of something.

1:01 PM, February 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter