Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Back To The Cave

There's talk of the Geico Cavemen getting a series. I find them unbearably unfunny in small doses, so this is scary. I recognize the idea is to satirize special-interest group sensitivity, but the premise is so far removed from reality I can't go for it.

And, of course, the whole centerpiece of the campaign--the sophisticated caveman--is a rip-off of Unfrozen Cavemen Lawyer, which was more subtle since that bit was about the caveman exploiting our anti-caveman prejudice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene Done said...

It's interesting to read an opinion from someone outside advertising. Everyone in the agency world is kinda giddy -- but then everyone in the agency world has a manuscript in their desk drawer and is just waiting for their own TV/movie deal.
Another good perspective is this --

http://www.murketing.com/journal/?p=443

6:32 AM, March 21, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Obviously a lot of people must like this ad, since they're really running with it. But this wouldn't be the first time I can't stand a highly popular campaign.

I know several people who work in advertising, and have even done a little free-lance work in the past, but you're right, I am an outsider. I do know a bit about sitcoms, though, and I find it ridiculous that just because these cavemen get a few laughs they should have a series. How about the "wassup" guys?

Anyway, it's always nice to hear from you, Irene. Are you looking forward to the Battlestar Galactica season-ender?

2:19 PM, March 21, 2007  
Blogger Irene Done said...

I shouldn't have assumed you were an outsider. I'm interested in but not optimistic for Geico's experiment. But some of the reaction among ad people strikes me as a little unseemly -- cheering on the creative team as if they're fellow big-house inmates who have made a run for it.

And yes, I AM eager for the Battlestar finale. Although I already miss Katee Sackhoff's Starbuck, I'm still hooked on that show something terrible.

5:52 PM, March 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter