Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Bad Spell

One of the most commonly misspelled words is "accommodate"--two c's, two m's. But I was still surprised by a handmade sign I saw on a broken elevator yesterday.

The writer was trying to use a fancy word and ended up impressing me in a way he wasn't planning. He explained that the elevator would no longer "accomidate" anyone. At least he knew there were two c's.

Columbus Guy says: My favorite ever was a handyman ad on an index card: "Will bild you a shed 9" x 12" x 7"

I think it had a price on it that seemed reasonably accurate for the job, generous even if the dimensions were correct.

But really, LAGuy, aren't you barreling fish here? What's next? Making fun of Democrats?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the handyman stole that idea from Stonehenge in Spinal Tap.

3:47 PM, March 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reverse, rather. The handyman was writing circa 1971. I'm not sure when Stonehenge was done, but I'm guess after that. Sort of spoiled the joke for me, what?

"It goes to eleven," on the other hand . . .

SWMBCg, etc.

6:54 PM, March 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter