Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Galaxy Far, Far Away

I was just reading an old interview with George Lucas, recently published in Empire magazine. It's from December 1975, when Lucas was in the middle of making Star Wars. Here's an interesting quote:
I came to realize that very few films were being made for young people between the ages of 12 and 20. [...] So instead of making important, gripping, isn't-it-terrible-what's-happening-to-mankind movies, which is what I started out doing, I decided it would be much more useful for me to make movies that made kids have a fantasy life and feel good, so they could go ahead and have a more productive life.
I love Star Wars too much to note how ironic these lines sound now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene Done said...

I've read that quote over and over now and each time it just makes me sad.

5:32 PM, July 10, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Maybe so, but we're always glad to hear from you, Irene.

9:11 PM, July 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter