Friday, August 17, 2007

JFC

HBO is not picking up David Milch's John From Cincinnati for a second season. No surprise, since audiences found it confusing and annoying. Still, I wouldn't have minded more, even if I had no idea what's going on.

The channel must have had high hopes for the series, since they premiered it right after the Sopranos finale. But the show was too bizarre, even for HBO.

The plot is about the entrance of John Monad, a strange being who seems to have magical powers but can't communicate normally, into the surf community of Imperial Beach.

The biggest problem to me was not how hard to follow the show was, but that the Yost family--central characters, three generations of surfers--were not interesting at all. In fact, I felt bad for Rebecca De Mornay, playing the nasty matriarch, who for ten episodes had to screech out every line.

But John I liked, and a few other character were developing in interesting ways. Would the show have gotten better? I don't know Butchie instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger QueensGuy said...

I thought the biggest problem the show had was that it wasn't Deadwood. At least I resented it deeply for not being Deadwood -- particularly the dialogue. Deadwood's monologues were Shakespearean; JFC's were Joycean. Some folks like Joyce. I'm one of them. But I can't deal with it at the speed of tv. And even Deadwood had Al Swearingen to translate Wu-glish to english. On JFC you had Dylan McKay translating John-glish to something equally incomprehensible.

12:43 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I gave Deadwood a couple of chances, but never got into it. The only HBO drama I watched with any regularity before JFC was The Sopranos.

1:07 PM, August 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter