Friday, September 21, 2007

"Your papers, please"

I feel strongly about not showing a security guard my receipt when leaving a store. Not sure why; it just strikes a nerve. I therefore try to avoid shopping at stores that participate in this obnoxious practice, such as BestBuy, and refuse to sign up for a membership at any "big box" store that would require me to accede to the practice. But in some cases a near-monopoly situation doesn't leave me much choice, e.g. ToysRUs and Home Depot. In such cases, if I'm alone and they ask for my receipt, I just say "no," and keep walking. Nobody has ever detained me. When I'm with someone else, I suck it up for the sake of politeness and show the receipt.

Well, here's the resolution of a case where such a refusal escalated just a bit. I wonder whether I would similarly stand on my principles with the police by refusing to provide ID. Honestly it might just depend on my state of mind from the initial situation and/or how the officer asked.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like ColumbusGal. I recommend you hold off on that concealed-carry permit for a while longer.

12:16 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Forgot:

SWMBCg, etc.

12:16 PM, September 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Retailers want to replace their "shrinkage" wih a shrinkage in a docile shopping public's rights.

Consumers of the Mall, Unite! You have nothing to lose but your reward points!

6:38 AM, September 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter