Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Heroic Violence

Lots of ugly violence on the latest Heroes. Two of the regulars committed murder. They didn't just kill--that happens all the time--but actually murdered, i.e., intentionally took the life of others who weren't directly threatening then. Two others played some nasty tricks as well.

I don't necessarily oppose this, though a show like Heroes, which has a comic book style, has to watch to make sure the characters remain sympathetic.

PS Here's what they're saying about the show in Entertainment Weekly:
The roller-coaster pacing has grown sluggish, the crazy-cool cliffhangers have gone MIA, and wimpy rookies like Wonderless Twins Maya and Alejandro have stolen away too much screen time. Plus the amnesia for Peter: so cliché. And Matt and Suresh as My Two Dads: seriously? Worst of all, stranding Hiro in a truly unconvincing evocation of feudal Japan has been disastrous.
Can't say I entirely disagree. I still think the pacing and cliffhangers are okay, and something had to be done about Peter to weaken him (same for Sylar), but the rest are points I've made in the past, especially about Hiro.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By showing Bennet as a cold-blooded killer, he has been doomed to die, i think. The TV show can't condone what he did, having shown Yakoff had a wife and kids. Too bad - Bennets has been one of the most interesting characters.

Maya is tougher. Sylar, clearly evil, egged her on. Alejandro could have saved everybody - you saw Syalr was still weak, so the border vigillantes would not have been abkle to stop them once they were revived. I think the writers are painting themselves into an uncomfortable corner, but then Sylar may kill Maya and Alejandro anyway.

By the way, I figure the Company has already tested the power muting virus on Sylar, which would explain his loss of powers. peter is harder to explain, besides "plot convenience."

11:00 AM, November 01, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Bennet is one of my favorites, too, but they sure have been foreshadowing his death. Not only do I like the character, but he's also valuable as a (as far as I can tell) non-Hero. In a show that has too many people with special powers--when everyone is special, no one is special--we need more people without them. I only hope Heroes continues its (mostly unfortunate) trend of refusing to kill off popular regulars even when it looks like they have.

I'm also getting a little tired of the saga of Maya and Alejandro, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. While adding Sylar may give it a kick, I don't find their power, or them, that fascinating.

We still don't know precisely what happened to Peter since last season's finale, but just going supernova is the kind of thing that can have a major effect.

11:20 AM, November 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter