Monday, November 12, 2007

Can we Godwin this, too?

"The late film critic Pauline Kael is reported to have said that Nixon couldn't have won because she didn't know anybody who voted for him."

I suppose this is a conservative trope-wouldn't make too much sense for the bedwetters to trot it out-but regardless, I'm a bit tired of hearing it, especially when it's namby-pamby crouched in I-don't-think-she-ever-really-said-it "reportedly" crap.

LAGuy adds: Actually, I've long thought about writing on this quote, but didn't want to do the research. I've read most of Pauline Kael's published work (as well as a book of interviews she'd given), and while it wouldn't surprise me if she voted for McGovern, this doesn't really sound like her. In fact, she attacked a number of Hollywood films pretty harshly from a conservative, or at least libertarian, viewpoint. In particular, I recommend her lengthy discussion of Hud in I Lost It At The Movies.

As a side-note, I remember when George Bush was behind Michael Dukakis in the polls by 17 points. It was reported to me that someone who worked in a major law firm, someone ColumbusGuy knows, said Bush will win because everyone he knows is voting for him. Turned out to be good analysis.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to see Kael really ragging on the Left, check out her reviews of SALT OF THE EARTH and I'M ALRIGHT JACK.

1:37 PM, November 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter