Friday, November 16, 2007

Sparky

Fascinating slide show/essay in Slate by Brian Doherty on the melancholy life of Charles Schulz.

He says a sequence in Peanuts where Charlie Brown saw the sun as a baseball is a favorite of many fans. I remember reading those strips. I thought Schulz had lost his mind.

Doherty also discusses the world of Peanuts merchandising. I remember years ago I was playing the title character in You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. The cast charged me with picking out a gift for the director. So I went to the store and checked out the voluminous amount of strip-related stuff. Since I played Charlie Brown, I wanted a little Charlie Brown doll, or something like that. Couldn't find any. All they had was Snoopy stuff, and maybe a few Woodstocks. Good grief!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter