Friday, January 18, 2008

About Time I Wrote About America Idol

Looks like one of my predictions is wrong already--American Idol, while still a huge hit, is not getting the viewership of previous years. Can't say I'm entirely surprised--I thought that prediction was pretty dangerous. Last year--the sixth season--the ratings seemed to have peaked. Hit shows often grow the first two or three years, but the few who make it to year seven are usually on the way down.

But it's not just a general trend, I think it's about the content. Last year was the dullest so far, with the least interesting contestants. It became easier to miss the show, or catch a bit of it while switching around. And when that happens, the ratings are usually going south.

Perhaps they'll turn up more compelling characters this time around, but it sure seems like we've seen it all before. (I might add that the first few weeks, where they weed out the losers, is my least favorite section of the show.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene Done said...

Were last season's contestants really uninteresting or did we just never get to see much of their personalities? The last two seasons, the show has pushed celebrities on us week after week and it's been a huge mistake not to spend more time on the contestants. I need those corny background stories!

And yes, the auditions are skippable. The Hollywood auditions are the biggest waste.

6:29 AM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Some are saying all those celebrities were a mistake. They may be right, but if nothing else, I still recall as singers the last batch had less personality.

11:25 AM, January 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter