Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Nostalgia

I was recently in an electronics store. (As I entered I was treated to 50 TVs playing Michigan's loss to Appy state--isn't it time to move on?)

Anyway, I actually saw three separate people, all clearly born since 1980, wearing Beatles T-shirts. Would anyone have predicted in the sixties people still listening to this band forty years down the road? Okay, maybe they would--they were pretty big, and after initial resistance, everyone got how good they were.

But I noticed then, playing in the background, someone had put on The Ramones greatest hits. Thirty years ago, when this band was at their height, they were considered too scary to play on the radio. Now people were walking by, humming along. They've become a nostalgia act. I guarantee you no one saw that thirty years ago

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Whats scary is that the cool cutting edge stuff from my youth is now considered Muzak for old farts. (Maybe it was always a more sophisticated adult kind of sound that you had to be older to enjoy? ..... naaw)

I have to admit I now enjoy going to the Supermarket for the background music (this seems to be true across chains in both Massachusetts and Maine) until I focus on the fact they play what the spending 40 year old food-buyers want to hear- I wonder if the multi-coloured hair and pierced types working at the check out line feel like they are in hell.

12:04 PM, February 19, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I like to think the old pre and post rock cut off point meant more back when we were kids than any 60s-70s-80s cut off means today. But who knows? Except I don't recall any teens when I was a kid wearing Glenn Miller t-shirts.

1:00 PM, February 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter