Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ten Years After

Los Angeles, for you foreigners, has grades clearly posted in all restaurants so you can see how they're rated by health inspectors. We've had this system for ten years.

"A" means passed with flying colors, "B" means a minor problem or two, "C" means more problems. (At least that's how I see it.) Lower than that and they shut you down, presumably, since I've never seen a "D."

Most of my friends would never eat anywhere that posts a "B." They don't even like walking by a "C." Surveys show this attitude is common. My attitude is who cares. As long as they close the ones that fail, I don't mind getting lunch from a C student.

3 Comments:

Blogger QueensGuy said...

I think 8 of my 10 favorite restaurants in NYC would get a B or C. There are diminishing marginal returns on cleanliness -- I'd rather they spend their money on better ingredients.

9:27 AM, February 20, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Gustatory inconvenience and, I guess, illness and death, are the costs of pursuing good cheap cuisine. The best stuff comes from places that aren't too careful about cleaning up the grease. (remember popcorn poppers- it never tasted good if it was clean)

3:52 PM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Addenda-My wife does not allow me to cook.

3:53 PM, February 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter