Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Inspiration

There's a local story getting some play about a judge denying a 17-year-old early entry into the military. As far as I can tell, the judge decided the case based on her personal feelings.

But as shameful as the story is, that's not what caught my eye. Rather, it was the opening sentence: "Shawn Sage long dreamed of joining the military, and watching Full Metal Jacket last year really sold him on becoming a Marine."

Full Metal Jacket? Kubrick's film about how the Marines turn you into a dehumanized killing machine? Did he get it?

Sort of reminds me of how Dan Quayle got inspired when he saw The Candidate, a film about how the political system corrupts anyone who runs for orffice.

2 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

Quayle was probably mesmerized by Robert Redford's perfect hair. I know I was.

It reminds me of when I first read Catcher in the Rye back in 8th grade. When I was done, my teacher asked me if I understood that Holden Caulfield was undergoing therapy.

And I replied, "Huh?"

4:01 AM, March 11, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

The "full metal Jacket" reference tends to support the judge's judgment (but not the judges authority to tell someone what they can do with their life)

5:29 AM, March 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter