Thursday, May 29, 2008

Courage

Alexander Courage has died. He wrote the Star Trek theme. Or sure, he did a lot more, but that one melody is more famous than everything else he did put together.

Not many people know the Gene Roddenberry lyric. Here it is--feel free to hum along.

Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love is wand'ring in star-flight
I know he'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love, strange love a star woman teaches
I know his journey ends never
His STAR TREK will go on forever
But tell him while he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me

(Actually, it's pretty inappropriate to reprint this in a tribute to Courage, who hated Star Trek's producer for writing a lyric, since he thought it was no good (he's got a point there) and it meant forever after he and Rodenberry would split the royalties.)

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I've been trying for a while but I can't make the lyrics fit the tune at all (much less the show). No wonder he was so angry. Great name- I always thought it was made up for the show.

5:38 AM, May 29, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Roddenberry makes an amateur's mistake and often has two syllables over one note.

Or maybe you're just humming the tune to Star Trek: The Next Generation.

6:09 AM, May 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter