Monday, August 11, 2008

Just A Theory

I've been getting a lot of phone calls trying to sell me something. They're far more annoying than email spam. Here's the part I don't get. Not only am I on the Do Not Call Registry, but at the end of these calls, they tell me to press a number to be taken off the list. Yet I keep getting more calls.

I have a theory that if you actually press the number, you're put on a list of people who wait till the end of the message and respond to what's said, and thus are perfect for further calls.

2 Comments:

Blogger QueensGuy said...

Seems similar to the question of whether it's better or worse to click "unsubscribe" in response to spam. The better research I've seen seems to indicate -- for spam -- that it doesn't make a difference whether you respond or bin it. My guess is the same is true for phone calls. They operate by small margins on bulk -- any one recipient isn't worth focusing on.

If it's really annoying, there's a device you can buy that signals the auto-dialer that a human didn't pick up, so they just move on.

I wonder whether you can get money from their having violated the Do Not Call Registry the way you can get paid for reporting violations of the unsolicited fax law.

11:17 AM, August 11, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

In Massachusetts at least (which has a state do not call registry) you can report them to the Attorney General's office and the offending telemarketer will get fined at least $11000 per call. I tried it once and it took a long time to report a complaint on line and I'm not sure it worked but its a little satisfying. It may not work on savvy national telemarketers but when I threatened to report the local yokel landscaping company who used to blast call the neighborhood on sunny saturday mornings, I was never blessed with another one.

12:23 PM, August 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter