Saturday, August 02, 2008

Semi-Dark


I've read interviews with Christopher Nolan, writer-director of The Dark Knight (now ranked greatest film ever at IMDb--silly), and he pretty much shares the anti-Iraq, anti-Bush attitude most have in Hollywood.

But I'll give him credit. His Batman film, which most concede comments on the war on terror, has enough ambiguity that it can be read in different ways. Nolan may even believe it has a specific message, but because he's mostly avoided being too on the nose, there enough breathing room for people to claim Bush is Batman (and Batman's good), or even that the whole plot is too confused to say anything.

(Another possibility is he's using the superhero genre to say certain things, and the genre is fighting back.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I am one o fthe 5 people in America who has not yet seen The Dark Knight (I had knee surgery a few weeks ago and theater rows are too cramped), I am enjoying the debate over whether Batman would vote for Bush. We saw some discussion of that in Iron Man too (I guess there is Tony Stark before his kidnap and after his kidnap). personally, I appreciate superhero movies precisely because they generally are not making overt comments about current political issues.

People have always said the X-Men movies were some sort of analogy for the fight for gay rights. I don't see it. Unless you really believe a vast amjority of people are "afraind" of homosexuals, the comparison fails.

I also remember some people putting down the first Spiderman because of the "patriotic" scene at the end where New Yorker's distract the Green Goblin and thereby Spiderman. Coming after 9/11, I guess some thought it was pandering?!? Some people have too much time on their hands.

3:41 PM, August 04, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Theater rows are too cramped? Don't they have stadium seating in Denver?

4:14 PM, August 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter