Monday, November 17, 2008

Concrete Ideas

QG is of the opinion that Presidential candidates need concrete ideas to power their campaigns. This was Obama's two years ago:

“I don’t have much time to reflect on what’s happening — to ask the ‘why’ questions — and Barack doesn’t, either,” Axelrod said. But then, pacing the carpet, he thought back on what he called the original why question, what got all this started, back in December 2006. Barack, Michelle and eight others were in Axelrod’s office in downtown Chicago. If Barack was going to run, he had to decide quickly, a point the group made by laying out primary schedules and game plans for fund-raising and building an organization. Insights were offered from around the room.

It was Michelle, Axelrod remembers, who stopped the show. “You need to ask yourself, Why do you want to do this?” she said directly. “What are hoping to uniquely accomplish, Barack?”

Obama sat quietly for a moment, and everyone waited. “This I know: When I raise my hand and take that oath of office, I think the world will look at us differently,” he said. “And millions of kids across this country will look at themselves differently.”

Sounds like Hope and Change to me. Something tells me that in 2010 - should she decide to run - Sarah Palin will have an idea at least equally concrete.

3 Comments:

Blogger QueensGuy said...

I promise you that Sen. Obama had concrete proposals regarding our national government before 2006 that he could name (but I'm too lazy to go find), because he had both run for and served in the US Senate. By contrast, Gov. Palin's role as Alaska governor has apparently left her with no views of proper national governmental action (unless you count hiring the lobbyists necessary to ensure the continued provision to her state of far more federal spending than they pay in taxes).

8:55 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger VermontGuy said...

Sure. I can, too. He's already on record as saying we shouldn't have gone into Iraq. Big deal. Just because a proposal is concrete doesn't mean it's not wrong.

Keeping in mind that Sarah Palin is four years away from a run at the oval office, I'd be happy to make you this bet: in two years she'll have several very concrete proposals for why she should be President.

And you won't like a single one of them.

3:36 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

I'd take that bet, because I'm quite certain I'll like some of them.

7:26 PM, November 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter