Thursday, December 18, 2008

What Was Great In '98

At the end of the year, my friend Jesse Walker makes top ten lists from previous decades. Here's his list for 1998.

I mostly agree with the choices, but a few quibbles:

First, I don't believe in including TV series. (I don't even like MOTW.) Even so, I'm not such a big fan of Oz that I'd put it on any top ten list.

I also think Rushmore is overrated. Of course, we didn't know then Wes Anderson would get worse. (Not that I don't find his films fascinating. I just think his style is getting more airless with each go-around.)

As for his next ten, There's Something About Mary should make the top ten. I'd put it in the top ten of the decade. On the other hand, I'm not as big a fan of Velvet Goldmine, Pi or Last Days Of Disco.

4 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Wow- I can tell we had an infant in 1998. Only Saw Something About Mary, Last Days of Disco (sort of liked) and the D-Day scene of Private Ryan (talk about shooting your wad, after that who wants to watch some conventional plot). Vaguely remember Rushmore and Lebowski being reviewed.

OK not getting it- what is the relevance of MOTW? To me, that mean "Move Outta The Way!" or "Most Of The World" a joke travelogue film once of my high school friends tried to make (never happened but he bought us M.O.T.W. T-shirts)

5:44 AM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Movie Of The Week

7:37 AM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Were there still such things in 1998?

8:53 AM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger Jesse said...

Steve: I might concede Last Days of Disco to you. I felt twinges about the final three features on my honorable-mention list: While I like them all, else I wouldn't have mentioned them, they're all more uneven than the rest of the roster. Maybe 1998 wasn't such a great year for film. (Or maybe I just haven't seen enough pictures released that year. But as I recall, I did more moviegoing in the late '90s than at any other part of my life.)

the D-Day scene of Private Ryan (talk about shooting your wad, after that who wants to watch some conventional plot)

I thought about listing JUST the D-
Day scene -- and putting it much higher on the list -- but I decided that would be cheating. (Of course, Steve thinks I'm cheating when I list a season of a TV show. Just be glad I'm not allowing myself to include individual episodes of The Simpsons...)

8:29 AM, December 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter