Saturday, January 31, 2009

Apology Not Accepted

We've already discussed Bishop Williamson, a Holocaust denier, and the Pope, who has lifted his excommunication. Williamson has sent a letter of apology to the Vatican. I don't know the full text, but here's the part that's been reported:

Amidst this tremendous media storm stirred up by imprudent remarks of mine on Swedish television, I beg of you to accept, only as is properly respectful, my sincere regrets for having caused to yourself and to the Holy Father so much unnecessary distress and problems.

So there you have it. He doesn't seem to be admitting he's wrong. I'd think that would be the absolute minimum he must do.

2 Comments:

Blogger QueensGuy said...

Those non-apology apologies only serve to make things worse for anyone who pays attention. "I'm sorry if what I said upset you," is correctly interpreted as "I won't apologize for my words or actions, but I AM sorry you're too sensitive."

5:56 AM, January 31, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, he certainly still believes this crap.

I found it interesting that the head of the SSPX, Bishop Fellay, announced that "those comments do not reflect in any way the attitude of our community. That is why I have forbidden Bishop Williamson to issue any public opinion on any political or historical matter until further notice."

What's most interesting from a canonical perspective is that Fellay has "forbidden" Williamson from such speech. In other words, even after the lifting of the excommunications, Williamson seems to recognize Fellay -- and not Pope Benedict -- as the person with authority over him.

In any event, before they can be in full union with Rome, they will have to recognize the authority of Vatican II. Hopefully Rome will demand that they do so in a way that unambiguously includes V2's teachings about the Jewish people.

9:51 AM, January 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter