Wednesday, February 18, 2009

One Out Of Three

The Last Starfighter (1984) was one of the many sci-fi films made in the wake of the successful Star Wars series. It's a passable film with a genial cast made up of young leads--Lance Guest and Catherine Mary Stewart--and veteran support--Robert Preston and Dan O'Herlihy. I wouldn't regularly rewatch it, but it was on and I caught the last thirty minutes.

What got me (and this is similar to my posting on I, Robot a couple weeks ago) was a little moment. An alien is showing the lead, Guest, a photo of life back home. Except that what he holds can show thousands of photos. So the movie imagines a robot that can convince you it's a human and interstellar travel--both far beyond our capacities--but hey, I think we can manage that photo trick.

2 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

I remember it fondly. Guest was agreeable enough in the lead and Stewart was white-bread sexy as the love interest. I especially enjoyed Robert Preston essentially riffing on the "Music Man".

Interestingly enough, the one scene that stayed with me was when Guest's younger brother is looking through his (Guest's) Playboy magazines and comes to one and says: "Yolanda, baby!"

Maybe he meant her.

6:44 AM, February 18, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I thought Stewart was sexy, too. I also liked her in Night Of The Comet the same year. She later had a decent part in Weekend At Bernie's, but she never hit the A list.

5:54 PM, February 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter