Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Oscar Picks

The Oscars are this Sunday. My choices--not my predictions--are in bold. I might add there wasn't much choice in a lot of categories. What's usually the strongest--Best Supporting Actor--is pretty weak this year.

BEST PICTURE
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ACTOR
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Melissa Leo - Frozen River
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Kate Winslet - The Reader

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin - Milk
Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams - Doubt
Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis - Doubt
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

DIRECTOR
David Fincher
Ron Howard
Gus Van Sant
Stephen Daldry
Danny Boyle

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Courtney Hunt - Frozen River
Mike Leigh - Happy-Go-Lucky (though I'm not sure how you judge a Mike Leigh script)
Martin McDonagh - In Bruges
Dustin Lance Black - Milk
Andrew Stanton - WALL-E

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Eric Roth and Robin Swicord - Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley - Doubt
Peter Morgan - Frost/Nixon
David Hare - The Reader
Simon Beaufoy - Slumdog Millionaire

ANIMATED
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
WALL-E

2 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

For the record - and not having seen any of the nominated films - I agree with most of your choices. However, I think Viola Davis has an excellent shot at winning Best Supporting Actress and I believe there's an unwritten rule in the Academy ceding all Best Animated picks to Pixar.

I was going to put together a list of my own but then I realized, I just don't care.

And no, I won't be watching Sunday night.

3:59 AM, February 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the Mike Leigh comment, but since he ends up with the sole screenwriting credit despite his improv script process, guess the actors don't care enough to make a stink about it.

2:33 PM, February 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter