Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Something To Talk About

I read in Entertainment Weekly that the choice for Gaius Baltar on Battlestar Galactica came down to James Callis or Jon Cryer. (I sort of know Jon, so I'll have to ask him about this. He's done just fine for himself starring in Two And A Half Men.)

I can't imagine anyone but Callis in the role. And I don't just say that because I've gotten used to him. Of all the characters on the show, none have been so shaped by the particular actor more than Baltar.

In general, I like the cast, but I'd say the only actors who are essential for making the show work as it has are Callis, Tricia Helfer, and maybe Michael Hogan and Mary McDonnell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene Done said...

Not Katee Sackhoff? When I watched the mini-series -- especially her first scene when she hits Tigh -- I was pretty impressed. I wasn't even aware of all the controversy surrounding the change of the character from male to female but I remember thinking, if that actress doesn't land that punch convincingly, the whole deal is off. Such a weird character and I think Sackhoff somehow manages to make it all work.

4:00 AM, March 17, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

She certainly is striking (NPI), and has created a memorable character. In the EW article, they also mentioned Grace Park was up for the part as well. That would have been weird.

Did you watch the salute to BG that was just on? They go into some detail about how hard it was to cast Starbuck. In fact, Katee, in her stilettos, was passed over at first.

9:38 AM, March 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter