Sunday, May 17, 2009

Not Married To It

Some have been using this quote in the Chicago Tribune to summarize President Obama's position on same-sex marriage.

I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.

I agree. Tradition and Obama's religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman. I wonder what Obama thinks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Brilliant!

This actually hits on the spot what I felt about Obama's stated views.

I think it also applies to Fr. Jenkins' speech at Notre Dame introducing President Obama. Jenkins said:

"Most of the debate has centered on Notre Dame’s decision to invite and honor the President. Less attention has been focused on the President’s decision to accept. President Obama has come to Notre Dame, though he knows well that we are fully supportive of Church teaching on the sanctity of human life, and we oppose his policies on abortion and embryonic stem cell research. Others might have avoided this venue for that reason. But President Obama is not someone who stops talking to those who differ with him."

The use of the "we" raises the question "who". Certainly not every student nor every faculty member is Catholic, or pro-life, so the "we" is ambiguous. Its rhetorical purpose seems to be that it avoids the dangers inherent in an "I".

So it would be interesting to know if Jenkins and Obama, alone in a room, talk this way. "My religion holds that gay marriage is wrong." "Ah, yes, and my university holds that gay marriage is wrong." "Glad to know that you and I are in agreement!"

11:41 PM, May 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Politics is the art of getting things done and appealing to the greatest number of people on the greatest number of points of agreement not making airtight academic arguments in some seminar type atmosphere.

6:53 AM, May 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter